Monday, November 29, 2010

Hummus Recipe and Outdoor Fun

Thanksgiving Hike





Snowshoe Adventure!




Oh moan. This is a terrible time of the year to stay on task. I've been getting out on winter exercise adventures. Thanksgiving Day before work, the little ones and I hiked a mile or more, partly in snow. The past few days I've been out snowshoeing. Mainly the problem lies in doing less. On a normal exercise day, I do a 4 mile run. In the summer I swim 1/2-1 mile. Sometimes even both. I sweat, I burn calories. These outings have been fun, but not like I know I should be doing. I'd like to try supplementing them with some indoor exercises but that seems so BORING!
Here's a fun recipe my friend gave me. I think its delicious and filling, but my husband thinks otherwise. It is very healthy and I can't stop eating it :-)
Home Made Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans
1-2 garlic cloves
fresh herbs (what you have available)
*I use thyme, basil, whatever I can keep growing.
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
olive oil (sparingly)
Blend it all in the blender. Reserve the garbanzo bean juice if you need to help it blend easier. Should be a nice, blended paste.
I love to eat this on freshly baked pita bread topped with a pile of veggies and some crumbled feta.
I especially love feta in everything because it has a lot of flavor where other cheeses are milder. You need more of them to appreciate you're eating them. Eating less cheese means a lot less fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment