Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Family Frolicking and Gambling Grief......

As I mentioned on my other blog, My cousin was tragically killed on Tuesday. Though his parents are in Kansas, and we are here, we are all mourning, worlds apart. Somewhere across the United States his little boy grieves. In another place his wife and adopted daughter agonize. For our family, well, we didn't get to see him for the last few years, but it doesn't take away the sadness that we experience. After compiling a picture project as his parents sympathy card, and having the kids make pictures, I still wasn't satisfied. Then my mother suggested she teach the kids to play Poker. Maybe I'd better explain.......

When my mother was a little girl, there would be no money for Christmas presents just days before Christmas. Her father, (my grandfather), would take off to the Poker tables and always come home with enough winnings for presents which my grandmother would go and buy. His boys learned to play with passion. My uncle taught his son (my cousin Monty) to play with the same kind of passion. He played like a pro from childhood and later went on to be semi professional after his years in Iraq, serving our country. Thus, the kids learning to play poker today was a tribute to our cousin. They played with my mothers pennies and nobody kept any winnings or lost anything. It was just as I said, a tribute to our fallen cousin.

It got a little bit hairy when the church deacon stopped by. He seemed to be pretty straight laced and we all feared the ongoing game would upset him. Suddenly the house was in chaos while pennies and cards flew all over the place. Somebody threw a towel over the whole mess and we would have gotten away with it too, had my mother not been such a confessional. Wisely, the deacon said nothing, and stayed for some ice cream.

Day 86 I did do my 200/100 and 10 pu

Day 87 We went shopping in town with my Mother in Law. It was a fabulous day, rich in fun and calories. Good thing the Sock Fashion Expert and I broke another running record doing a FULL 6 MILES!! I also did my 200 sit ups, 100 knee/elbow crunches and 12 push ups.

Day 88 We drove for 4 hours to see some good friends. I ended up with a great 4 mile hike with her, but alas, again ate way too many calories for my own good! Oh the torment of good cooking! I was exhausted by the end of the day and fell asleep after a measly 10 sit ups......

Day 89 Was crazy marathon day! We left our dear friends, drove along the North Shore and spent the afternoon at a luncheon with many of my relatives in Duluth. It was a wonderful reunion with so many family and incredibly special meeting second cousins for the first time :-) Unfortunately, again, by the time we drove another 3 hours to the next city to my sisters, I collapsed in bed with only managing 20 sit ups and a plethora of calories.......

Day 90 We were exhausted from travel. I did get in my 200/100 while my adorable little nieces stared at me. I was unable to persuade them to join me - lol ;-)

Day 91 We were at my mom and dad's by now and seriously lacking in exercise! The Sock Fashion Expert and I broke another record by running a grueling 6.4 miles!! My mom showed us the road she likes to hike on, (pictured above), and we also took a walk with her later that day as well. The hardwood floors were just too hard to imagine doing sit ups on, even with a little rug. Amazingly an exercise ball rolled by that evening. I still don't know where it came from. Its one of those Divine Interventions I guess.... Gratefully I did my 200 sit ups on that while Miss Moona was in the bath tub. I also did an array of push ups on it, etc......

Day 92 was church and chilly and stormy. No runs, but did the whole 200 sit ups with the exercise ball routine and some push ups.

Day 93 Nobody was feeling well and there was a horrible bitter wind. We all got outside for a short walk, but the conditions were miserable. I did my 200 sit ups on the exercise ball while Miss Moona was awaiting snuggle time. I didn't do anything else because I didn't want to keep her waiting any longer ;-)

Day 94 Today, as I said was spent playing Poker - lol ;-) I still have to do my sit ups.... Fortunately, The Sock Fashion Expert was really geared up for running today because we got out there early. Us girls running together is becoming, dare I say it?, routine...... Ahhhh.... a mothers dream realized. My 15 year old actually wants me along!! You may picture me bouncing up and down here and acting hysterically happy. As usual, she jumped around with too much energy and yelled poetically to the cows that we jogged by. Dramatically, she challenged us to "beat the road", and that I would have stories to impress my future grandchildren with. With all her crazy antics, the time and miles passed by with minimal pain. I HONESTLY NEVER BELIEVED I would see this day, until I felt God speaking to my heart about doing this upcoming run. I signed up for it by faith, not having any idea at all how I could pull it off. AMAZINGLY, with the cheers of the Sock Fashion Expert, we completed that distance today. Today, for the first time ever, WE RAN 7 MILES!!!!!!! Glory Hallelujah!


  1. you are invited to follow my blog

  2. Congratulations on th 7 mile run. That's awesome!