Saturday, February 5, 2011

To Count or Not to Count - That is the Question

Seared lemon peppered chicken paired with grain salad
My girl friends eat a lot of this kind of thing - Soaked, boiled, rinsed, grains (mine are rye and wild rice) tossed with fresh, diced veggies, fresh herbs, high quality olive oil, toss in raisins or currants.

Though Moonbeam doesn't eat many raw veggies on her plate, she will chow on them if I let her "help" me cook.


Well I blogged about my adventure in a Gigantic Organic Health Food Store on Yaak Adventures. If you want to have a laugh about my husband's culture shock, you can mosey over there. The result of that big shopping trip left me pleased and also a bit unsatisfied. PLEASED because I have some new grains to try cooking with, along with a host of other healthy whole foods I am excited about. A bit unsatisfied, because, I couldn't buy very much fresh produce. We were 6 of us jammed into the cab of a 6 seater Toyota Tundra. It was below zero and anything not being jam packed around us would freeze. Well, I guess you gotta take what you can get :-) I have been doing some sprouting lately, which is fun. Have any of you guys ever tried making wheat grass? Have you ever actually utilized wheat grass in something that tastes good?


As for sit-ups, day 33 we were getting back from the big trip. I did my 100 right around bed time. Day 34, I did a mini combination earlier in the day before I ran a couple of miles. Its kind of a nice warm up before going out into the cold, anyway. Day 35 I forgot, climbed into bed and then furiously did 100 with my husband laying there. He didn't say much. He never does ;-) For this I am quite fortunate.........
The whole calorie thing seems hard, but I am choosing to learn. The truth is, I am totally undisciplined when it comes to food. I might have good intentions for a while, but in the end, I find myself over indulging. I have just learned to overindulge less than when I was 50 lbs heavier. I am quite sure that I eat WAY MORE than 1500 calories a day. However, I have learned to be content with it. There have been a few times I felt like my blood sugar was dropping, and few times I felt hungry. I've really had to budget those calories and try to make the most of them. I've had to cut serving sizes in half to have everything I wanted. I've had to beg, borrow or steal the computer from my family to find out if what I wanted to eat was within my calorie means. Despite these grave inconveniences, truthfully, it hasn't been that bad and I haven't gone to bed starving. I even occasionally feel full - ha ha!! All in all its been a good learning experience.
Our couples get away might be getting rescheduled to a couple of weeks later. So what should I do now? Should I keep doing it for a couple more weeks? Forget it forever? (probably not) Take a week off? I don't know. It is good for me to have something to focus on or I might get terribly bored and start hounding my kids ;-) On the other hand, counting is rather time consuming and constraining........ what to do what to do???

3 comments:

  1. Love raw foods and veggies and I am on the verge of committing to these on a pretty full time basis - I just feel better when I eat this way. I stopped off at our local co-op which is all organic and makes the BEST salads and wraps and had a wonderful cabbage, brown rice and thai sauce wrap! Yumm!

    Keep up the good eating, but give yourself permission to have a little treat occasionally, that is what I say...:-)

    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of your blog! Have you seen much of a difference in yourself in one month with your sit-ups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, too bad about rescheduling your getaway! I hope you get to do it soon! Just think--your abs will look even firmer in that new swimsuit by the time you get to go. :)


    I'm curious. . .where did you come up with the 1500 calorie-a-day goal? I know that you want to lose weight, but you also need plenty of calories because you burn so much while exercising, don't you? Just curious how you came up with your goal. :)

    ReplyDelete